Tuesday, April 2

Introducing Ralphie and Roxy!

As I mentioned in previous posts, we've lost a number of cats in the last year.... All 5 were seniors, who suffered from various age related illnesses.  The vet said it was just a terrible fluke that everything happened in the same year. 

These 5 furkids were all adopted in the years 1997-2000 and had been my constant companions.  For many years before I moved in with Dave, it was just me and the cats.  They were my entire world then, and we had a wonderful bond. 

The loss has been great, and I'm obviously going to continue to process it in the months to come.  Taking it day by day and remembering all of our wonderful moments helps.  Scrapbooking is my main therapy, so I imagine you will continue to see many pages of my Hooligans. 

Part of my grieving process was to "look ahead" and start thinking about the possibility of adopting a kitten (or two).  Due to the strained dynamics in our house with the hooligans, I was never able to bring another cat into the mix.  So as I was dealing with caring for my Gabe with a brain tumor and Bronte with kidney failure late last year, I starting doing some research.  It began for fun, to keep my mind in a positive place, rather than dwell on the sadness I was feeling and the inevitable decisions I would be facing with both cats.

For a few months, I was strong and able to resist the kittens.... however that was mainly due to the fact many of these breeders lived in Ontario, or in the US.  It wasn't until I stumbled upon Yeux de Feu in Northern New Brunswick... that the possibility became real.  The timing couldn't have been more perfect, she has just posted the kittens, born November 24, 2012 and they were available for adoption on February 16th. 

A weak moment came upon me, and I sent her the deposit for one kitten...... and then once Dave and I started chatting about it the next day, and we figured it would be best to adopt two so they could keep each other company.  (yes, Dave Rocks, he knew I really needed this)

It was the BEST thing we could have done.  Meet Ralphie and Roxy.... They are Doll Faced Persians, Ralphie is a Cameo (pink nose) and Roxy is a Silver (black eyeliner and nose).  They are amazing little furballs and we are just smitten with them.  After one week of confinement in our rec room, they had free reign over the house and have adjusted beautifully, even with Dave's Willibug and Summer!  We are still amazed at how well the four of them get along!

They will never replace my 5 hooligans or lessen their loss, but boy, do they ever remind me that its worth it.

Steph
xo





1 comments :

Sandi Smith April 2, 2013 at 1:18 PM  

oh my..they are so beautiful!!I have wanted a cat like that my entire life but unfortunately I am the only cat lover in my house. Enjoy!!