Monday, September 21

My First attempt with Gelli Plate Mono printing!

Mono Printing has always been a bit of a mystery to me.  I've always loved the results, but never really thought much about what it takes to get <great> results.  After watching the Gelli Arts YouTube channel for a few days, I thought I'd like to give it a whirl and picked up an 8x10 plate at the local art store. 

Below you will see my entire process, creating 8 individual prints in about an hour.  It was so much fun, I could have continued on all night but I had dinner plans!

Here is the YouTube Process video, from start to finish... you see all of my attempts at mark making, wonky color combos and a few mistakes  learning opportunities here and there.


Lessons Learned:
 - Brush up on color mixing to create a pleasant palette
 - Have more paper towels handy to clean your brayer
 - Keep the plastic protective backing on the Gelli Plate...
(otherwise it will warp your lovely silicon mat)
 - Have more paper shapes/stencils on hand for a better variety

Here are the end results of the hour I spent getting messy with the Gelli Plate:









I have a few favorites (the top one especially) and I think the last one is a dud... but I'm sure I'll find a use for all of them in my mixed media projects.  

Supplies used:
Misc Acrylic Paint
Smooth Heavy Drawing paper (8.5x11 135lbs)
Gelli Arts Printing Plate (8x10)
Plain card stock for my homemade stencils (randomly cut out)
Brayer
Punchinella
Silicone cooking utencils (dollarama)
Lots of Baby Wipes!

Steph
xo

0 comments :