Friday, September 18

Mixed Media: Owl & Ink on Bristol Paper


Some days I just feel like getting my fingers full of paint.  No plan, no clue of what I'm going to put to paper... but it doesn't matter.  I just need to play!  Bristol paper is wonderful when you're feeling like getting messy, but don't want to commit to an actual canvas.

I had never heard of it until recently, and I'm so happy I did!  It's thick paper that can withstand a lot of heavy mediums like acrylic paint, modeling paste, decoupage glue and ink etc.

I pulled out my Bristol paper pad, turned the camera on and just went with it.  Of course, my go to paintings are usually cats or owls these days....so I figured I'd stick with what I enjoyed.  Here's another owl inspired by Juliette Crane (If you haven't taken any of her classes, I highly recommend them!)

If you watch the video below, you will notice toward the end I'm using a beautiful glass pen.  I wanted to make special mention of it, as it is handmade by the lovely Janelle at Gypsy Road Canada located here in Halifax.

These glass pens are incredible!  I'm using the thin width in the video, but I also have another with a thicker tip.  They are wonderful with ink, and I've even used them with my Studio Calico Mr Hueys and other mists.   I think they are the fanciest art supply I have!

Steph
xo



Here are the supplies used in the video:
11x14 Bristol Paper
Misc Paint brushes
Foam (recycled electronic packaging, instead of foam brushes)
Liquitex Acrylic Paint
Grumbacher Paint
Stabilo Pencil
Liquitex Modeling paste
Liquitex Black Carbon Ink
Punchinella
Bubble wrap
Tim Holtz Stencil 
Tissue Paper
Golden GAC 100
Liquitex Matte Medium
Foam Roller


1 comments :

Anonymous September 18, 2015 at 2:15 PM  

Wow, I loved watching your process. Well done. Looks like you had fun playing. I love your owl!